Johnny Key

Commissioner of Education

Read Bio  

Who can start an open-enrollment charter school?


The following are considered eligible entities and may apply to the State Board of Education to create an open-enrollment charter school:

  • A public institution of higher education;  
  • A private nonsectarian institution of higher education;  
  • A governmental entity; or
  • An organization that is nonsectarian in its program, admissions policies, employment practices, and operations, and has applied for tax-exempt status under § 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. The eligible entity must obtain status as a tax-exempt organization under § 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 prior to the first day of its operation with students. 

Source: Ark. Code Ann. § 6-23-103(4)


   Back to Charter Schools

« Back to FAQs

State Standards

Learn more about the standards that define the knowledge and skills Arkansas students should have in order to be ready for college and careers.

Learn More

Licensure & Certification

Find critical information about renewing Arkansas educator licenses, adding areas of licensure, licensing by reciprocity from other states, background checks and more.

Learn More

ESEA Flexibility

Learn More

Latest News & Events

Learn More