Johnny Key

Commissioner of Education

Read Bio  

Licensure by Reciprocity


Becoming a Teacher or School Leader button Educator Licensure button Educator Support and Development button Educator Workforce Resources and Data button

What is licensure by Reciprocity?

  • Reciprocity means the recognition of a teaching license from another state or country based on the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) licensure rules and/or the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement for Educator Licensure.
  • Licensure in another state or country does not mean licensure in Arkansas will automatically be granted.

o   Type of license must be evaluated

*Ancillary requirements may apply

What steps must I take to apply for Reciprocity?

  1. Request a Reciprocity packet from ADE
  2. Submit completed packet

a.     Application  (PDF)

b.     Official Transcripts

c.     Copy of current or expired out of state educator’s license

d.     Verification of one of the following if application:

         i.     Any basic skills, content area, and pedagogy testing required for

                the out of state license

        ii.     Documentation of three years licensed teaching experience

        iii.     National Board of Professional Teaching Standards certification

What about background checks?

  • If out of state, complete ASP and FBI criminal history background check forms in packet and mail to the Arkansas State Police.
  • If in Arkansas, you may begin the ASP and FBI background check online by using electronic fingerprinting at one of the locations on this map.
  • Follow the instructions given on this Online Payments for ASP and FBI document. 
  • A child maltreatment central registry check through DHS must be cleared.

What happens once I have submitted the above listed documentation?

When is a Provisional license available?

  • If all requirements for the standard license have been met except:

o   Content or Pedagogy testing

o   Arkansas History (If applicable)

  • The verification of provisional licensure eligibility form, VOPLE, will be sent when the applicant has submitted all documents required for the provisional license.
  • The Provisional license will be issued upon receipt of the signed VOPLE from the employing superintendent.

What licensure areas are required to take Arkansas History?

  • Early Childhood, Elementary Education, Middle Childhood areas and Secondary Social Studies

Where can I take Arkansas History?

  • One of the accredited two or four year institutions in Arkansas or
  • A 45 clock hour professional development course through Arkansas IDEAS

If Praxis exams are assessed, how do I register for them?

What additional items will I need if I am an educator from out of country?

  • Transcript evaluation from an ADE approved agency - Private Credentialing Agencies
  • If not a U.S. citizen, legal documentation to work in the U.S.
  • Documentation of successful completion of the ADE approved assessment of English language skills exam, TOFL

*Documentation of successful completion of the ADE approved basic skills (Praxis CORE), content area, and pedagogy assessments must be submitted for the standard license.


State Standards

Learn more about the standards that define the knowledge and skills Arkansas students should have in order to be ready for college and careers.

Learn More

Licensure & Certification

Find critical information about renewing Arkansas educator licenses, adding areas of licensure, licensing by reciprocity from other states, background checks and more.

Learn More

ESEA Flexibility

Learn More

Latest News & Events

Learn More