Professional Standards for All School Nutrition Employees – Summary of the Final Rule Effective July 1, 2015 (PDF)
Food Service Assistants / Workers
Training from ADE, Child Nutrition
Labels & Product Information
Financial Management – Coming Soon
Training Available from the Institute of Child Nutrition (ICN):
– Cashier's Training Resource focuses on recognizing a reimbursable meal at the point-of-service. It provides short skill-building activities for cashiers to recognize reimbursable meals. The Speed Round included in this training is a quick activity for individuals to determine if a series of meals meet the requirements of a reimbursable meal. The activity is designed to take less than two minutes to complete. The training can be taught in short intervals or as a 2-hour session. The resource includes a trainer's manual, participants' workbook, and PowerPoint presentation. Published 2014.
Meal Pattern Training for Breakfast and Lunch
– Meal Pattern Training Resources provides an overview of the Meal Pattern requirements for a reimbursable lunch and breakfast meal. The training includes an overview of the USDA Offer Versus Serve Guidance for the National School Lunch Program and the School Breakfast Program. Please review the USDA FNS policy memos and check with your State agency for specific requirements applicable to your program. The training includes an Instructor's Manual, Participant's Workbook, and PowerPoint presentation.
Food Safety Basics
– Food Safety Basics is a 4-hour training that has been developed for new school nutrition managers, employees, and substitute cooks to provide a basic understanding of food safety enabling them to begin the job using safe food handling practices. Published 2014.
Food Safety in Schools
(formerly known as Serving It Safe, 4th Edition) – Food Safety in Schools is the updated version of Serving It Safe, 4th Edition which was renamed to clarify the target audience of the training. It is designed to provide school nutrition employees with up-to-date information on food safety. This training contains lessons and activities which allow participants to be actively involved in learning the food safety concepts needed to prepare and serve food safely and to keep school nutrition facilities safe and sanitary. The chapters cover topics such as: food safety, prevention of foodborne illness, basics of microorganisms, how to keep a clean and sanitary school nutrition facility, process for foodborne illness prevention, and food safety programs in schools. Published 2015. ICN's Serving It Safe online course
is a 12-hour course designed for child nutrition professionals.
Creating Your School Food Defense Plan (WORD
Inventory Management and Tracking
- The Inventory Management and Tracking Reference Guide presents information about inventory management and tracking that may be new to school nutrition operators and updates information about traditional inventory management in light of new traceability expectations. Published 2012.
Managing Food Allergies in School Nutrition Programs
- The Managing Food Allergies in School Nutrition Programs training is for school nutrition professionals to learn how to accommodate students with food allergies. It includes an overview of food allergies, reading and managing food labels, accommodating students with food-related disabilities, avoiding cross contact, and promoting food allergy management in schools. Published 2014. See also Managing Food Allergies in School - Video
Norovirus Series Part 1 - What is Norovirus?
This 1-hour course covers Norovirus control in schools and Child Nutrition programs. 2012.
Focus on the Customer - 2003 BLT
– Breakfast Lunch Training (BLT) module designed for training school nutrition teams to focus on the customers' wants and needs to develop strategies for achieving satisfied customers and effective programs. Contains seven lessons averaging 75 minutes each, 25-minute video, participant handouts, transparency masters, and PowerPoint® presentation. Published 2003. ET44-03.
Receiving Affects Customer Satisfaction from the No Time to Train Series – Lesson plan
also available. This - hour lesson focuses on one of the most important steps in the purchasing process – receiving.
Food Safe Taste Testing - This 1-hour online course explains food-safe taste testing using the two-spoon method of food-safe taste testing.
Responding to a Food Recall: Procedures for Recalls of USDA Foods – This 4-hour online course is designed to prepare school nutrition managers, directors, and members of the staff of State Distributing Agencies to handle and respond to a recall of USDA Foods.